There are some recipes that are difficult to recreate in vegan form. Cheese-based pasta dishes tend to be challenging to make in a vegan-friendly way.
At @cbdsuperfood we love conquering these challenges by concocting delicious, creative recipes that can accommodate dietary needs like veganism! 👏
Pasta with pesto cream sauce is a classic savory dish, and we have used coconut milk for a vegan, @cbdsuperfood twist. Made with homemade walnut pesto, it has lots of springy flavor and is a great meal to enjoy throughout the spring and summer when you need to use up some home-grown herbs! 🌱
In addition to adding lots of flavor, fresh basil also offers a number of health benefits. It is an excellent source of antioxidants, and helps to fight inflammation in the body. Your immune system may benefit from the natural antibacterial properties of this herb, and basil also serves as a natural adaptogen to help your body more effectively handle stress. Basil works well alongside the possible benefits of CBD to support your overall health and wellness! ✨
CBD Superfood Vegan Pesto Cream Pasta
- 2–3 c. orecchiette pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c. full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 c. almond milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 c. fresh arugula
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp CBD Superfood Coconut Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds, chopped fresh basil for garnish
- In a small saucepan, add onion slices and one tablespoon of oil. Cook on medium-low heat for 30 minutes until onions are caramelized.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions, until al dente.
- Drain the pasta into a colander, return it to the pot, and toss with a dash of olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, add olive oil and place over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, whisk in the flour. Cook for 3–4 minutes, until the mixture darkens a bit, begins to smell nutty, and bubbles.
- Whisk in the coconut milk and almond milk. Raise the heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat and allow the mixture to simmer, whisking frequently, until it thickens. Add a pinch or two of salt and pepper.
- Stir in the pesto, cherry tomatoes, caramelized onions, and cooked pasta. Allow the sauce to continue simmering for about 1 minute to continue thickening.
- Remove the pot from heat and immediately stir in arugula until it begins to wilt.
- Taste-test and season with red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Add CBD Superfood Coconut Oil.
- Divide into bowls and serve!